I never thought that I would have the skills to make my own swim suit. Well, it turns out you don't actually need a whole lot of skills to transform a suit into something you really love! My husband and I are getting ready to go on a trip to Florida in October, thanks to the graciousness of a family friend who's condo we will be staying in and my Mom and Dad. We've had a bit of a rough year, so it will be so nice to relax on the beach!! I really wanted to get a new swimsuit and fell in love with this one from Modcloth. I was immediately drawn to the vintage inspired look and high waist, which fit my style and would cover the scar from my surgery a few months ago perfectly!! Unfortunately, the price didn't fit into our budget, so I decided to take that as a challenge. I just knew I could come up with something similar for a much better price. Here's how I did it:
I scoped out Walmart and Target because I knew all of their swimwear was on clearance right now **he-yay!!** Target had this really nice suit that was marked down to $24 from $50!! I had to squeeeeeeze into it because its made by the makers of Spanx, its Targets version called Assets. Let me tell you, it sucks you in and gives you lift, whew! Once I finally got it on, it fit great and wasn't uncomfortable at all, and it was very flattering!! I almost questioned whether or not to cut it up, because it was so cute!!
Alas, I talked myself into going for it! I have had my eye on that vintage looking two piece since April! So I gathered my materials: two doilies at $1 a piece, pins, elastic, Heat and Bond for attaching the doilies.
I started by cutting the top off from about 1/4" below the seam. It probably would have been a little easier if I had cut a little more for tucking under and sewing purposes, but I wasn't sure how much extra I would need for the bottoms.
Then I tucked that 1/4" of fabric below the seam under toward the inside of the suit and began pinning.
I then just did a basic stitch just below to the last seam to keep that loose fabric in place nicely. That's it for the top!
To measure where I wanted the bottoms to hit, I put them on and then folded the top of the briefs down and pinned it in place. I then measured elastic around the same part of my waist and cut the length.
I sewed the elastic band, overlapping about an 1 1/2" and sewed it in a box shape with an X in the middle for extra security.
This is the view from the front of the suit.
Now for the doilies on the top. I used Heat N Bond which is an iron on adhesive that comes on a roll. There are all different levels of strength, I chose Ultra Hold, because I've used it in the past, and it is super strong!!
I measured out where I wanted the doily to lay by holding it up against the top and then cutting points off where there was over hang. Then I traced the doily on to the Heat N Bond and cut out the shape. You want to iron the heat and bond to the back side before peeling the paper for about 8 seconds. Then place it on the suit exactly where you want it and hold it in place for 30 seconds at a time until you get around the whole thing and it is firmly attached.
I then used left over scraps to create this bow like the inspiration suit had and hand sewed it on to the front.