I always forget how amazing this soup is until I make and eat it again. Onion soup is ok, not my favorite, but this one is special. It has APPLES in it. And BRANDY! Wahoo!! Not to mention cheesie toasts that have cinnamon and sugar caramelized on one side that float on top of the apple/onion goodness. And...you make it in the crockpot so there's no work involved when its time to eat! ...You're welcome.
2 T of olive oil
2 T of butter cubed
2 medium granny smith apples, peeled cored and chopped
4 medium to large onions peeled and sliced thin
4 C chicken broth
1 1/2 C of apple cider
2 T of Brandy
salt and pepper to taste
2 T butter
Loaf of French Bread
2 T sugar
1/2 t ground cinnamon
2 C shredded Gouda cheese
1. Spoon oil and butter over bottom of crockpot. Add onions and apples and set on low for 8-10 hours until caramelized.
2. An hour before serving, add broth, cider, brandy, salt and pepper to taste, and set to high, heating until hot, about an hour.
3. Make toasts while soup is heating: Mix sugar and cinnamon together. Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread and top with cinnamon sugar mixture. Broil for a couple of minutes until golden brown.
4. Flip your toasts over, top with Gouda cheese, and broil again until cheese is just slightly bubbly.
5. Serve soup with toasts floating on top, cheese side up.